Miso soup is one of the most popular Japanese recipes on the globe. However, as we explained in our recipe for dashi stock, this preparation is anything but vegan, even if most of its ingredients are. The truth is that the main component of this dish, the dashi, is made using skipjack tuna, so we really had to take a stand here and find a way to prepare a delicious soup, without the need of an animal product.
- Place the seaweed into a small bowl, cover it with cold water and let it rehydrate for 10 minutes.
- Drain the seaweed and remove the edible part from the central veins.
- Take a spring onion and slice into small round pieces.
- Dice the tofu into small pieces.
- Heat the dashi stock until it starts steaming, turn off the heat and stir in the miso. Add the miso paste a little at a time until the soup has a level of savouriness that matches with your personal taste. Here you can find our recipe for dashi stock.
- Add the onions, the seaweed and the tofu into a small serving bowl, and pour in the soup to complete the dish.